Without a doubt, this is Yasujirō Ozu’s masterpiece, exploring generational differences in post-war Japan. Retired couple Shūkichi and Tomi Hirayama make a rare trip out of their rural Onomichi township to visit their adult children in Tokyo. On arrival, they discover the burgeoning capital and the priorities of their family members are distinctly different to their expectations. While their son and daughter have no time for their parents, their widowed daughter-in-law goes out of her way to pay them respect and introduce them to Tokyo life. One of the most graceful, profound films ever made. Just lovely to watch.
Why You Should See This Film
In a paradigm-shifting poll of film directors for BFI’s Sight & Sound magazine, Tokyo Story was voted, wait for it, the greatest film of all time. Beating out Citizen Kane, Apocalypse Now and 2001: A Space Odyssey is no mean feat, but this delicate and beautifully-paced tale of aging and familial love more than earns its accolades. Carefully remastered to a sumptuous 4K transfer of original 35mm elements, this film will make you want to call your parents, and that’s always a good thing.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes are not available to be used until we are back to full capacity.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.