My Own Private Idaho
Affable and reflective, Mike (River Phoenix) works as a hustler on the streets of Portland, Oregon. His friend Scott (Keanu Reeves) sells his body too, but, given that he’s the son of the mayor, Scott is doing it less for the money, and more just to piss off his dad. Mike is secretly in love with Scott, whereas Scott is secretly waiting for the day he turns 21 and inherits his father’s fortune so that he can be done with that life. The two friends hit the road to Idaho to search for Mike’s mother, whom he longs to find, and their trip ends up taking them a lot further than they had initially planned.
Why You Should See This Film
Dreamy and surreal with a brilliant soundtrack, My Own Private Idaho was written and directed by Gus Van Sant (Don't Worry He Won't Get Far on Foot, Milk, Elephant) who started writing the screenplay in the '70s, based loosely on Shakespeare’s Henry IV and Henry V, and became a landmark film in the New Queer Cinema movement. It’s one of River Phoenix’s last films, and a performance that he won several awards for, including Best Actor at the 1991 Venice Film Festival where it premiered.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed for sessions on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 1991
- Rating: M
- Director: Gus Van Sant
- Cast: Keanu Reeves, River Phoenix, Udo Kier
- Duration: 104 minutes
- Language: English