Le Mépris (Contempt)
Michel Piccoli stars as Paul, a screenwriter who has taken a high wage, low art job working for boorish, profit-driven U.S. producer Prokosch (Jack Palance). Prokosch hired Paul to rework the script for a film adaptation of Homer’s Odyssey being directed by Fritz Lang. Prokosch wants a Hercules-style popcorn flick but Lang wants a European arthouse film. Paul’s anxieties about selling out are exacerbated by a growing estrangement from his wife Camille (Brigitte Bardot). Set amongst the stunning scenery of an Italian summer, Le Mépris contrasts the avant garde and realist aspirations of the Nouvelle Vague against the economic realities of Hollywood studio filmmaking. A masterpiece.
Why You Should See This Film
Jean-Luc Godard’s first colour film is playful (as always) and punk (as usual), constantly breaking the third wall and using behind-the-scenes goings on to inform the onscreen narrative. It’s incredibly impressive to consider that in under five years Godard made Le Mépris, Breathless (À bout de souffle), Une Femme Est Une Femme and Bande à part. Critics loved Le Mépris upon its release and still do — in 2012, online journal Interiors dedicated an issue to discussing the use of space in the much acclaimed extended apartment sequence.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 1963
- Rating: PG
- Director: Jean-Luc Godard
- Cast: Brigitte Bardot, Jack Palance, Fritz Lang
- Duration: 105 minutes
- Language: English, French with English subtitles