Based on a novel by horror master Steven King, The Shining will send shivers down your spine no matter how many times you’ve seen it. The carpet! The twins! The axe! The psychic abilities! Redrum! Room 237! The Shelley Duvall! One of Stanley Kubrick’s best (there are so many to choose from), this is a masterpiece of psychological horror. Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) takes a job as caretaker of the isolated Overlook Hotel in its office season, so that he can concentrate on his writing. His wife Wendy (Duvall) and son Danny (Danny Lloyd) come along with him and are soon trapped by a massive snowstorm. Danny’s psychic senses (his ‘shining’) are exacerbated by the supernatural presences inhabiting the building, as is Jack’s waning mental state.
Why You Should See This Film
One of the most iconic films of the twentieth century, The Shining is as enigmatically beautiful as they come. This is also one of the first uses of Steadi-cam, utilised here to capture Danny’s speedy little big wheel as he traverses the creepy hallways, and it has inspired decades of conspiracy theorists hung up on the real meaning of what’s in Room 237. Still need convincing? Get Out director Jordan Peele recently named Shelley Duvall’s performance in the film as his favourite horror performance of all time.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 1980
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Stanley Kubrick
- Cast: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd
- Duration: 146 minutes
- Language: English