The Royal Tenenbaums
Gene Hackman plays Royal Tenenbaum, a charismatic yet self-centered divorcée whose three gifted offspring were successful prodigies as children before succumbing to eccentricity, neuroses and depression. Wait, this is a comedy? Ben Stiller, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Luke Wilson bring the three wounded adult Tenenbaums to sympathetic life with deadpan humour and a remarkably clever script. When Royal has to move out of the hotel where he has been living, he devises a plan to steal his ex-wife Etheline (Anjelica Huston) away from her current suitor (Danny Glover) by faking terminal illness. Honestly it’s a comedy — and it’s really, really funny.
Why You Should See This Film
Though his first two features (Bottle Rocket and Rushmore) had a distinct visual style and some playful characterisations, Wes Anderson’s obsession with art direction and stylised storytelling really comes to the fore in Tenenbaums, proving him to be one of the few modern day auteurs (a title even his detractors will begrudgingly admit). Gene Hackman is wonderful as Royal Tenenbaum and Alec Baldwin’s narration is surprisingly fitting. Too soon to call it a modern classic? We think not.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2001
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Wes Anderson
- Cast: Gene Hackman, Anjelica Huston, Gwyneth Paltrow
- Duration: 110 minutes
- Language: English