The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The team aboard the majestic research vessel ‘Belafonte’ is fearlessly led by oceanographer and documentarian Steve Zissou (Bill Murray). His latest project is one driven by the less-than-scientific instinct of revenge. Zissou is determined to hunt down and destroy the mysterious ‘Jaguar Shark’ that devoured his best friend, Esteban du Plantier. Joining him on the mission is polite Southern gentleman Ned Plimpton (Owen Wilson), Zissou's estranged wife Eleanor (Anjelica Huston), German first mate Klaus Daimler (Willem Dafoe) and intrepid, heavily pregnant reporter Jane Winslett-Richardson (Cate Blanchett). Love triangles, fistfights, and pirate attacks ensue.
Why You Should See This Film
This is the hippest high seas adventure you’ll ever embark upon. Who could resist those trademark red beanies and sky-blue crew uniforms? Wes Anderson’s oddball sense of humour and deadpan delivery are at their best here and, with Murray captaining the ship, you just can’t go wrong. The Life Aquatic also happens to be a sweetly sad meditation on mortality, manhood and human triviality. The soundtrack, composed by Devo's Mark Mothersbaugh, is of typical Andersonian quality; a highlight of which are the acoustic David Bowie covers performed in Portuguese by Pelé dos Santos (Seu Jorge), the ship’s safety expert.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2004
- Rating: M
- Director: Wes Anderson
- Cast: Bill Murray, Cate Blanchett, Anjelica Huston, Owen Wilson
- Duration: 119 minutes
- Language: English