Hollywood will chew you up and spit you out. Norma Desmond (Gloria Swanson) knows that all too well. Once a big name silent movie star, Norma spends her advancing years rotting away in a mansion on Sunset Boulevard, deludedly believing that she is still a star and that her ‘return’ to the big screen is eminent. A broke, struggling screenwriter Joe Gillis (William Holden) ends up on Norma’s front doorstep when his car gets a flat. Joe quickly charms Norma into hiring him as her script doctor, and he soon moves in. But the closer he gets the more he discovers how surreal and unhealthy Norma’s personal world is.
Why You Should See This Film
Billy Wilder directed and co-wrote this classic film noir, which pretty accurately sums up the highs and lows Hollywood can put one through. Wilder is considered one of the best screenwriters (if not the best) in history; his films and the characters in them are still funny, insightful, and endlessly charismatic. Sunset Boulevard’s opening and narrative structure remain surprising and unique by today's standards. Includes small roles by real movie-making royalty including Cecil B. Demille, Hedda Hopper, and Buster Keaton.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed for sessions on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.