The Grand Budapest Hotel
Recounted in the present day to a recuperating hotel guest (Jude Law), this is the story of Zero Moustafa (F. Murray Abraham), owner of the now-dilapidated Grand Budapest, whose mysterious past lingers through the hallways, suites and servants' corners. The story that unfolds harks back to the tail-end of the hotel's 1930s glory days when the fictional Republic of Zubrowka was on the edge of a major war. Pulling the hotel's strings with effortless charm is Gustave (Ralph Fiennes), concierge and devotee of the hotel's elder patrons, in particular Madame D (Tilda Swinton) who fears her death is near. With her demise comes the execution of her will. Left to Gustave at the anger of her vicious, gothy kin (incl. Adrien Brody & Willem Dafoe) is a valuable painting. From there: a robbery, a prison, a shoot-out, a ski scene, a war, a confession, a young romance and (because Anderson can't seem to resist) a dead pet.
Why You Should See This Film
A fast-paced beauty, this is Wes Anderson in his prime. The Grand Budapest Hotel has all of the auteur's hallmarks but never falls into cliché: the colour palettes, the impeccable production design, the wry sense of humour, the sudden harshness, the cameos! Look out for almost all of his old faithfuls — Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman and Owen Wilson, to name a few. The main cast is impeccable too with Tilda Swinton in full elderly regalia and Ralph Fiennes beautifully embodying the camply suave lead.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2014
- Rating: M
- Director: Wes Anderson
- Cast: Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes, Saoirse Ronan, Tony Revolori
- Duration: 100 minutes
- Language: English