In his red Chrysler convertible and cowboy hat, director, narrator and certified superstar David Byrne takes us on an Americana-filled journey around the fictional town of Virgil, Texas. We’re introduced to a motley crew of locals who are preparing to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Texan independence with a “Celebration of Specialness”. Among them are a lazy woman (Swoozie Kurtz), who never budges from bed, and the country-and-western singing Louis Fyne (John Goodman), who is desperately unlucky in love. A series of surreal comic vignettes interspersed with musical performances of Talking Heads hits like “Wild Wild Life” and “People Like Us”, True Stories is a gorgeously crafted, loving ode to the extraordinary ordinariness of small-town America and its criss-crossing freeways, strip malls and endless sweeping plains.
Why You Should See This Film
We couldn’t dream of a better creative duo than cinematographer Ed Lachman (The Virgin Suicides, Carol, among countless others) and director/star David Byrne. Shot in hyperreal, vivid tableaus that match perfectly with Byrne’s unique take on American suburbia, True Stories is like an Ed Ruscha painting sprung joyfully to life. And, John Goodman is on peak hilarious form as the lovelorn Louis.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 1986
- Rating: G
- Director: David Byrne
- Cast: John Goodman, David Byrne
- Duration: 90 minutes
- Language: English