The Personal History of David Copperfield
The reliably witty Armando Iannucci (The Death of Stalin, Veep) delivers again with this briskly paced, mightily entertaining reimagining of Charles Dickens' classic 1850 coming-of-age tale. Brought up by his doting single mother, the life of David Copperfield (Dev Patel) takes a turn for the worse when a new, cruel step-father comes on the scene, and sends the young David off to work in his factory. He eventually finds a safe haven in the home of his wealthy aunt Betsey Trotwood (Tilda Swinton), where he begins to pursue his dream of becoming a gentleman and an author. With a superbly talented supporting cast including Peter Capaldi, Ben Whishaw, Hugh Laurie and Gwendoline Christie, the laughs barely let up in this brilliant take on a timeless classic.
Why You Should See This Film
Besides starring two of our favourite actors, Dev Patel and Tilda Swinton (reason enough, really), The Personal History of David Copperfield also serves as a very welcome comic reprieve from the current stresses of the outside world. Iannucci and regular collaborator Simon Blackwell’s talent for biting satires pairs well with Dickens, and scored them the British Independent Film Award for Best Screenplay late last year.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will guide you to your allocated seat at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes are not available to be used until we are back to full capacity.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.