The Last Black Man in San Francisco
The rapturously reviewed, award-winning directorial debut of Joe Talbot, The Last Black Man in San Francisco is a complicated love letter to a changing city. Jimmie Fails dreams of reclaiming the stately Victorian home his grandfather built in San Francisco’s historically black, rapidly gentrifying Fillmore District. When he discovers the house has been vacated by its wealthy, white owners, Jimmie and his best friend Mont (Jonathan Majors) decide to move in. Rediscovering his old neighbourhood, and reclaiming an important piece of his identity, Jimmie searches for belonging in a city that’s drifting further and further away from its roots.
Why You Should See This Film
Visually brilliant and brimming with deeply felt emotion, The Last Black Man in San Francisco joins the ranks of films such as Sorry to Bother You and Medicine for Melancholy in addressing issues of race and gentrification in the Bay Area. Director Joe Talbot and star Jimmie Fails have been friends since childhood, adapting the screenplay from Jimmie Fails’ own family’s experience of being forced out of his grandfather’s old house in Fillmore, and the film benefits immensely from these highly personal threads woven throughout.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: M
- Director: Joe Talbot
- Cast: Jimmie Fails, Rob Morgan, Jonathan Majors, Tichina Arnold, Danny Glover
- Duration: 121 minutes
- Language: English