The King of Staten Island
Comedy juggernaut Judd Apatow (The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Trainwreck) is known for his Midas touch in catapulting the film careers of his stars, from Amy Schumer to Seth Rogen and Steve Carell. This time, he sets his sights on SNL’s Pete Davidson, who co-wrote and stars in this warm and witty ode to his Staten Island upbringing. Lovable 24-year-old Scott (Davidson) lost his firefighter dad as a kid, and shows no signs of growing up. Spending his days smoking weed on the couch, tattooing his buddies, and generally avoiding responsibility, he's the polar opposite to his ambitious younger sister (Maude Apatow). When his mum (Marisa Tomei) starts dating a firefighter (Bill Burr), it brings up painful memories for Scott, and forces him to face up to his future.
Why You Should See This Film
Besides being praised as one of Apatow’s best films to date, The King of Staten Island allows us to see a more nuanced and emotional side to Pete Davidson, who lost his own firefighter father in 9/11, and draws on a wellspring of his own experiences here. (Apatow describes it as “an imagining of what Pete’s life would have been if he didn’t find comedy.”) Also, it scores major cinephile points for being gorgeously shot on 35mm film by Paul Thomas Anderson’s regular DoP, Robert Elswit.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes are not available to be used until we are back to full capacity.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.