The remarkably ambitious, Venice Film Festival-selected debut feature of Roderick MacKay, The Furnace is a thrilling Australian western that follows an unlikely duo on the run. During the Gold Rush in 1897 Western Australia, a young Afghan cameleer Hanif (Ahmed Malek) lives a harsh existence. When he stumbles across a mysterious bushman (David Wenham) with two 400oz Crown-marked gold bars in his possession, the two men hatch a plan to get the gold to a secret furnace – the only way they can remove the Crown mark and sell the gold undetected. Dodging cops, and enlisting the help of Hanif's friend, Badimaya man Woorak (Baykali Ganambarr, The Nightingale), the two men seek fortune amid the most hostile of conditions.
Why You Should See This Film
If Sweet Country and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre had a love child, The Furnace would be it. Sensitively mining both its local historical and cultural DNA as well as classical Hollywood genre conventions, The Furnace illuminates a facet of Australian history that is often overlooked: that of the Ghan cameleers. Predominately Muslim and Sikh men from India, Afghanistan and Persia, these men helped to open up Australia's desert interior, and formed bonds with local Aboriginal groups. Gorgeously shot, effectively tense and featuring great performances (especially from bright star Baykali Ganambarr), this is a unique tale worth telling.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Roderick MacKay
- Cast: Michael Chiklis, Keir Dullea, Ahmed Malek, David Wenham, Baykall Ganambarr, Jay Ryan, Erik Thomson, Trevor Jamieson
- Duration: 116 minutes
- Language: English, Badimaya, Pashto, Punjabi, Cantonese