Arriving before dawn, leaving after dusk, Jane (Julia Garner) is the hard-working assistant to a powerful Hollywood mogul. Over the course of a day within the claustrophobic walls of the company’s New York headquarters, she washes dishes, fetches sandwiches, photocopies scripts and fields increasingly uncomfortable phone calls from the boss's wife. Aggravate the boss, and she must issue a written apology, swearing "I will not let you down again." In this pressure-cooker environment, Jane begins to notice a disturbing pattern of behaviour behind closed doors. When she tries to bring this to light, she faces an insidious system designed to protect those in power.
Why You Should See This Film
We can’t think of a better person to direct this film than Kitty Green. With a background in documentary (Casting JonBenet, Ukraine Is Not a Brothel), Green interviewed over 100 women in the film industry and beyond to piece together this quietly damning portrait of systemic abuse. Green captures the everyday microaggressions faced by women in the workplace with a confrontingly realistic precision. Loosely based on Harvey Weinstein, The Assistant’s abuser is never named or shown, but remains a deeply haunting presence throughout.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed for sessions on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.