A Travis Bickle for the social media age, L.A. rideshare driver Kurt Kunkle (Joe Keery, Stranger Things) is desperate for online infamy, and has a killer plan to go viral. Equipping his car with cameras, he embarks on #TheLesson: a livestreamed killing spree highly unlikely to score him a 5-star driver rating. As the follower count on @KurtsWorld96 rises and his antics become increasingly unhinged, an Insta-famous comedian (Sasheer Zamata, Saturday Night Live) emerges as the only hope to put an end to his murderous rampage. Equal parts dark satire and no-holds-barred gorefest, director Eugene Kotlyarenko’s Sundance-selected Spree is a wildly enjoyable and blackly funny work of genre mastery that’s hardwired into the digital era.
Why You Should See This Film
A mind-boggling amount of work went into crafting the social media-embedded universe of Spree. As @KurtsWorld96’s livestream unfolds, hordes of comments pop up on-screen: a grand total of 7,000 of them. And director Eugene Kotlyarenko wrote every single one of them. Expanding on the themes of his prior films (0s & 1s, Wobble Palace) which also held a mirror to our digital selves, it’s thrilling to see Kotlyarenko take things to another level with Spree. And did we mention the Mischa Barton cameo?
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Eugene Kotlyarenko
- Cast: Joe Keery, David Arquette, Kyle Mooney, Sasheer Zamata, Mischa Barton
- Duration: 93 minutes
- Language: English