Josephine Decker (Madeline’s Madeline) returns with this simmering drama, loosely based on the life of American Gothic author Shirley Jackson (Elisabeth Moss) and her literary professor husband, Stanley Hyman (Michael Stuhlbarg, aka Elio’s dad). In autumn 1964, aspiring young professor Fred Nemser (Logan Lerman) and his wife Rose (Odessa Young) arrive in a sleepy Vermont college town. In exchange for free room and board at the Hymans, Rose agrees to tidy up and look after Shirley, who is so caught up in the process of writing her new novel she hasn't left the house in months. In a Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?-like scenario, Fred and Rose soon find themselves pawns in the couple’s twisted matrimonial games.
Why You Should See This Film
From Her Smell to The Invisible Man, Elisabeth Moss has raised the already stratospherically high bar she’s set for herself recently, and her performance here as author Shirley Jackson ranks among her best. Accurately described by The New Yorker as “a symphony of faces”, Josephine Decker's laser-focused direction manages to transform even the tiniest flicker of an eyelid into a gesture loaded with importance. Executive produced by Martin Scorsese, who has credited Decker with helping to expand “the language of cinema”, this is exciting, electric filmmaking that throws the biopic rulebook out the window.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing, and these are general admission. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes are not available to be used until we are back to full capacity.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: M
- Director: Josephine Decker
- Cast: Michael Stuhlbarg, Elisabeth Moss, Odessa Young
- Duration: 107 minutes
- Language: English