Climb aboard a beaten-up 1936 Rolls Royce and join a pair of English eccentrics on a life-altering road trip through India. A married couple in their mid-60s, Rupert and Jan live simply in their rural cottage in the south of England with all manner of chickens, sheep and cats running amok. Leaving their careers behind in the pursuit of spontaneous adventure, Romantic Road follows the duo as they embark on a 5000 mile, six month cross-continental journey to reach Chobi Mela – the International Festival of Photography in Bangladesh. On the way they meet tea-wallahs and maharajahs, traverse treacherous routes, happen upon tribal conflicts and affirm their long-burning affection for each other.
Why You Should See This Film
Executive produced by Sharon Stone, Romantic Road manages to be both a visually stunning travelogue and also a surprisingly moving journey into a decades-old relationship. Coming to grips with complex questions of age, devotion and colonialism, we discover just why the over-the-top Rupert and the thoughtful, quietly spoken Jan have made the perfect couple for so long. As they retrace the steps of their younger selves in their battered jalopy, we’re reminded of the essential importance of remaining a restless traveller.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes are not available to be used until we are back to full capacity.
- Member passes are still valid for discounts!
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2017
- Rating: PG
- Director: Oliver McGarvey
- Duration: 80 minutes
- Language: English