Set on a New England island in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom is the story of Sam Shakusky (Jared Gilman), an orphaned 12-year-old boy scout who flees camp to meet Suzy (Kara Hayward), the girl of his troubled dreams. In hot pursuit are Sam's scout master Randy (Edward Norton) and Suzy's parents, a dream team of Bill Murray and Frances McDormand, who play up their characters’ idiosyncrasies to the subtle hilt. Add to the mix a troupe of Lord of the Flies-esque scouts out for blood, Tilda Swinton as a merciless juvenile protection agent, Bruce Willis as the lovelorn Captain Duffy and Jason Schwartzman as a wheeling, dealing scout leader who can double as a marriage celebrant in a pinch.
Why You Should See This Film
Yes, all the Wes Anderson calling cards are here — perfect ensemble cast, delightful soundtrack, a sweet concoction of his own history mixed in with the younger characters, a dog injury — but this film is more than just another string in his polished bow. It really captures those fleeting moments of pre-teen romance in all their awkwardness and excitement, balanced perfectly with a winningly wry sense of humour.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2012
- Rating: PG
- Director: Wes Anderson
- Cast: Frances McDormand, Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward, Edward Norton
- Duration: 95 minutes
- Language: English