(Rated Unclassified 15+)
In 1973, an 11-year-old salsa singer was discovered by legendary New York record producer Harvey Averne in a San Juan airport. Within a year, he went from living in a slum to being played by every radio station from Colombia to Puerto Rico, and performing in front of 20,000 people at Madison Square Garden. And then he simply disappeared. From director Sam Zubrycki, Miguelito sets out to uncover the hidden story of the missing child prodigy and the lasting legacy of his cult hits more than four decades later. Exclusive to Golden Age in Sydney, it’s a fascinating portrait of unexplained mystery, sudden fame and evergreen Latin American culture.
Why You Should See This Film
Taking the form of an upbeat road movie, Miguelito travels around meeting those who were affected by his music, and is as much a celebration of the singer’s cultural influence as it is an elegy for his short-lived career. Featuring performances from Papo Lucca’s La Sonora Poncena, Nelson Feliciano, Maximo Torres, Malo Malo and many others, it’s a film that celebrates the musical depth of the Caribbean as well as revealing a story of a once forgotten ‘Salsero’ whose name ought to be remembered forever.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed for sessions on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: Unclassified 15+
- Director: Sam Zubrycki
- Duration: 92 minutes
- Language: English, Spanish