Tsai Chin (The Joy Luck Club) delivers an unforgettable turn as a grandma who strikes it rich in Sasie Sealy's delightfully entertaining debut feature Lucky Grandma. In Chinatown, New York, the fiercely independent, chain-smoking Grandma Wong (Tsai Chin) has recently lost her husband, and her family constantly fret about her living alone. Encouraged by the auspicious predictions of a local fortune teller, she hops on the next charter bus to the casino and places all her savings down at the roulette table. She leaves with some unexpected souvenirs: a bagful of dubiously-obtained cash, and a nasty pair of gangsters on her case. Eager to protect herself, Grandma Wong seeks the services of lovable bodyguard Big Pong (Corey Ha), and soon finds herself caught up in a Chinatown gang war.
Why You Should See This Film
A love letter to the back alleys, mahjong parlours and buzzing neons of NYC’s Chinatown, Lucky Grandma teems with a living, breathing sense of place. Inspired by the films director Sasie Sealy watched growing up (everything from the films of Wong Kar Wai and Jackie Chan to The Princess Bride and the Coen Brothers), it oozes with a love of cinema as well as a love of a character. Grandma Wong is a special kind of hero rarely seen on the big screen, and Tsai Chin brings her to life with a wickedly sardonic, undeniably badass energy.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: M
- Director: Sasie Sealy
- Cast: Tsai Chin, Corey Ha
- Duration: 88 minutes
- Language: English, Mandarin with English subtitles, Cantonese with English subtitles