Provocative, topical and powerfully told, Les Misérables is director Ladj Ly’s Cannes-winning, Oscar-nominated portrait of his neighbourhood of Montfermeil in the eastern suburbs of Paris, where Victor Hugo set his famed novel of the same name over 150 years ago. Stephane (Damien Bonnard) is new to Montfermeil’s Anti-Crime Squad, and disapproves of the brutal, bigoted methods of his more experienced colleagues Chris (Alexis Manenti) and Gwada (Djebril Zonga). When tensions between local gangs boil over, the trio find themselves in trouble when a drone captures an arrest gone badly awry, and threatens to expose their unethical policing.
Why You Should See This Film
Nominated for Best International Feature Film at the 2019 Oscars, and winner of multiple awards including the Cannes Jury Prize, Les Misérables is one of the most acclaimed films of the year. And rightly so, it brims with a raw and incendiary energy that burns long after the credits roll. Its comparisons to Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing are deserved, and much like that film, its themes of police brutality are more prescient than ever.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed for sessions on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Sundays.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.