La Belle Époque
Remarkably inventive, highly romantic and quintessentially French, La Belle Époque is a clever rumination on nostalgia, and the lengths we take to avoid falling out of love. Sixtysomething retired cartoonist Victor (Daniel Auteuil) is a man who flounders in the present, while his vivacious wife Marianne (Fanny Ardant) thrives. When she ditches him for his best friend, he’s left scrambling to piece his life together. Enter the Time Travellers, a thriving business that offer their clients the opportunity to travel back to any period they choose through elaborate historical recreations. With the help of their ambitious director Antoine (Guillaume Canet, Non-Fiction), Victor returns to La Belle Époque, the café where he first laid eyes on Marianne back in the 1970s.
Why You Should See This Film
Premiering in the prestigious Official Selection of the 2019 Cannes Film Festival, La Belle Époque has gained raves for its winning performances and original concept. Winner of multiple César Awards including Best Original Screenplay and Best Supporting Actress (Fanny Ardant), Nicolas Bedos’ film is a crowd-pleasing delight that evokes the high-concept thrills of The Truman Show and Being John Malkovich.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: M
- Director: Nicolas Bedos
- Cast: Guillaume Canet, Daniel Auteuil, Fanny Ardant, Doria Tillier
- Duration: 115 minutes
- Language: French with English subtitles