Happy Happy Joy Joy
The Ren & Stimpy Show was one of the most influential and daring cartoons of the 1990s, and paved the way for a bold new generation of creator-driven animation like South Park, SpongeBob SquarePants and Rick and Morty. Providing a fascinating account of how the show got off the ground, and the radical creatives that made it happen, Happy Happy Joy Joy offers an essential insight into this major cultural touchstone. There is a dark side to the Ren & Stimpy story, however, in the shape of the show’s controversial creator, John Kricfalusi. As disturbing reports of John K’s abuse and sexual misconduct surfaced in 2018, fans of the show were left to reckon with its complicated legacy. Featuring in-depth interviews with the show’s creative team, development executives and devoted fans as well as with John K. and his accuser Robyn Byrd, Happy Happy Joy Joy is a complex account of the rise and fall of this cult cartoon phenomenon.
Why You Should See This Film
While John K. takes up a lot of the air in the conversation around Ren & Stimpy, one of the great things about Happy Happy Joy Joy is the attention it gives to the other incredibly talented creatives involved in its production. A rare behind-the-scenes look into the painstaking process of animation and the tremendous artistry involved, Happy Happy Joy Joy places you squarely on the drawing board.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Ron Cicero, Kimo Easterwood
- Cast: John Kricfalusi, Robyn Byrd, Vanessa Coffey, Chris Reccardi
- Duration: 107 minutes
- Language: English