Ellie & Abbie (& Ellie's Dead Aunt)
Winning over audiences at film festivals the world over, Ellie & Abbie (& Ellie's Dead Aunt) is a heartfelt and hilarious queer teen rom-com from Sydney-based writer-director Monica Zanetti. School captain Ellie (Sophie Hawkshaw) has a serious crush on her classmate Abbie (Zoe Terakes), and is angsting over inviting her to the Year 12 formal. When Ellie accidentally spills the beans to her mum (Marta Dusseldorp) and outs herself in the process, things start to get complicated, and a little bit spooky. Enter her deceased aunt Tara (Julia Billington), a lesbian activist from the ‘80s who returns from the dead to act as a kind of fairy godmother to Ellie, guiding her through the trials and tribulations of her first love.
Why You Should See This Film
The first Australian film to open the Mardi Gras Film Festival, Ellie & Abbie (& Ellie’s Dead Aunt) is groundbreaking for a number of reasons. Director Monica Zanetti was inspired to make the film because she wanted to create a romantic comedy like those she loved as a teen but never saw herself represented in, adding “I wanted to create a queer film that is funny, charming and above all else hopeful.” With Ellie & Abbie she has achieved all that and more, amplified by excellent writing and terrific performances from both the young leads and supporting cast.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Monica Zanetti
- Cast: Sophie Hawkshaw, Marta Dusseldorp, Julia Billington, Zoe Terakes, Rachel House
- Duration: 84 minutes
- Language: English