David Byrne's American Utopia
Documenting Talking Heads frontman David Byrne’s hit 2019 Broadway show of the same name, American Utopia is a euphoric, politically engaged concert film from Academy Award-winning director Spike Lee. A showcase for Byrne’s distinctive blend of music and ideas that recalls Stop Making Sense in its high-energy display of pure joy and peerless showmanship, the show brings together an international ensemble of 11 musicians and dancers. Filmed at New York City’s historic Hudson Theatre on Broadway, we see classic hits like “This Must Be the Place” and “Once in a Lifetime” take on new life, mixed in with more recent tracks and a show-stopping cover of Janelle Monáe’s “Hell You Talmbout”. An infectious and masterfully crafted affirmation of both Lee and Byrne’s supertalents, this might be the perfect film for right now.
Why You Should See This Film
You may find yourself in a beautiful cinema, watching a beautiful film. And you may ask yourself, well, how did I get here? Find yourself in another part of the world with this musical extravaganza, which brought down the house as the opening night film of the 2020 Toronto International Film Festival.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: M
- Director: Spike Lee
- Cast: David Byrne
- Duration: 105 minutes
- Language: English