Nominated for Best International Feature Film at the 2020 Oscars, Corpus Christi is an intensely gripping tale of one man’s unconventional path to redemption. Inspired by a real-life case, the film follows the twenty-year-old Daniel (Bartosz Bielenia), who has just been released from a Warsaw prison. He’s sent to work at a timber mill in a small village, but when he is mistaken for the new town priest while visiting the local parish, he sets upon a new, higher, path. Daniel takes an unorthodox approach to the new role, delivering sermons with a magnetism and compassion that eventually convinces the community of his legitimacy. As he becomes more and more embedded in his new-found calling, he learns of a recent tragedy that has left the townsfolk scarred.
Why You Should See This Film
Corpus Christi has accumulated an impressive tally of awards internationally, including many plaudits for newcomer Bartosz Bielenia’s astonishing lead performance. Lauded as a major new screen discovery, Bielenia embodies the morally complex role of Daniel with a haunting power that is electrifying to behold. A box-office sensation in its home country of Poland, and a hit at the 2020 Melbourne International Film Festival locally, Corpus Christi is one of the finest films of the year.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: MA15+
- Director: Jan Komasa
- Cast: Bartosz Bielenia, Eliza Rycembel, Aleksandra Konieczna
- Duration: 115 minutes
- Language: Polish with English subtitles