A rousing and enlightening new documentary from first-time director Catherine Dwyer, Brazen Hussies looks back at the revolutionary history of the Women’s Liberation Movement in Australia. Combining an array of archival footage and illuminating first-hand accounts from major feminist figures including Anne Summers, Elizabeth Reid, Pat O’Shane, Martha Ansara, Kerryn Higgs and more, the film brings to life the stories of a bold group of women who demanded equality, defied societal expectations and enacted meaningful social change. Showing how women began campaigning around issues including reproductive rights, affordable childcare, equal pay, domestic violence and more, Brazen Hussies brilliantly demonstrates the first stirrings of a battle that continues to be fought today.
Why You Should See This Film
It’s fascinating to see how the feminist movement of the ‘60s and ‘70s played out on our home soil, and it’s a history that feels especially relevant and worth revisiting in the present moment. Did you know that women in Queensland weren’t allowed to drink in public bars until 1970? Next time you head down to the pub, raise a glass to Merle Thornton and Rosalie Bogner, who chained themselves to Brisbane’s Regatta Hotel in 1965 in protest of the archaic law.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2020
- Rating: M
- Director: Catherine Dwyer
- Cast: Anne Summers, Elizabeth Reid, Pat O’Shane, Lilla Watson
- Duration: 93 minutes
- Language: English