Spirited teenager Cécile (Jean Seberg) leads a charmed life on the French Riviera with her wealthy playboy father Raymond (David Niven) and hedonism aplenty. Free of responsibility and flunking her exams, her luxe lifestyle is abruptly interrupted by the arrival of Raymond’s longtime friend Anne (Deborah Kerr). As the two adults become closer and their seaside romance blossoms, Cécile plots to break up their nascent relationship and preserve her decadent way of life – all to deeply tragic ends.
Why You Should See This Film
Based on the stunning novel of the same title by Françoise Sagan, Bonjour Tristesse is the film that made Jean Seberg into an international star. Described by François Truffaut as “the best actress in Europe”, Seberg collaborates with director Otto Preminger on a truly glorious performance, effortlessly combining precocious insecurity, teenage venom and quiet mourning. After filming Breathless some two years later, Jean-Luc Godard stated that Seberg’s character “was a continuation of her role in Bonjour Tristesse ... I could have taken the last shot of Preminger's film and started after dissolving to a title: "Three years later’”.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a 20-minute gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via email@example.com if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 1958
- Rating: PG
- Director: Otto Preminger
- Cast: Jean Seberg, David Niven, Deborah Kerr
- Duration: 96 minutes
- Language: English