Soon to be 16, Sydney high schooler Milla Finlay (Eliza Scanlen) lives life to the max. She falls in love with the rat-tailed, face-tatted Moses (Toby Wallace), who is a parents’ worst nightmare with his conspicuous drug habit and abysmal table manners. Milla is also terminally ill, and her first love may be her last. Milla’s parents (played brilliantly by Essie Davis and Ben Mendelsohn) disapprove, but who are they to tell Milla how to spend her remaining days? A whirlwind of emotion is unleashed in the Finlay household, leaving each family member to lean on their own coping mechanisms. A left-of-field coming of age drama that dodges the usual clichés, Babyteeth is an assured, darkly funny and emotionally charged debut from talented Australian director Shannon Murphy.
Why You Should See This Film
This electrifying Australian-made feature has won worldwide acclaim, with Toby Wallace taking home the Marcello Mastroianni Award for Best Young Actor at Venice Film Festival for his performance as Moses. Selected for the prestigious New Directors/New Films festival presented at Film at Lincoln Centre and MoMA in New York, Babyteeth marks Shannon Murphy as a director to watch. Most recently known for her work on the third season of Killing Eve, it’s exciting to see Murphy’s take on Babyteeth, which started out as a play by Rita Kalnejais at our very own local Belvoir St Theatre.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT CINEMA COVID-19 REGULATIONS
We’re excited to be reopening our doors to you, and have put a number of protocols in place to ensure your safety.
- Limited seats are available to each session to allow for social distancing. Our lovely staff will seat you at the beginning of your session so please be on time and ready to show your ticket on your phone or printed out (phone preferred) so that we can admit you without contact.
- Cinema doors will open 15 minutes before your advertised session time so that you can be seated and use that time to get comfortable, sanitised and make a trip to the bar if you’d like (our cocktails are very good!).
- There is now (at least) a half-hour gap between sessions, so that our staff are able to do a deep clean of the cinema.
- Gift Passes can now be redeemed on all sessions excluding special events.
- Please get in touch via firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or issues.
- Year: 2019
- Rating: M
- Director: Shannon Murphy
- Cast: Toby Wallace, Eliza Scanlen, Essie Davis, Ben Mendelsohn, Emily Barclay, Eugene Gilfedder
- Duration: 118 minutes
- Language: English